Transition Office Contacts
Supply Clergy Compensation Guidelines
The Diocese of New York recommends the following minimum compensation guidelines for Sunday supply priests:
- $180 for one Sunday service and sermon
- $270 for two Sunday services and sermon
- $100 for a week-day service
- $300 for a Funeral, including planning the liturgy and follow up
- $150 for a graveside service
- $400 for a Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage, including 3 preparatory sessions with the couple
- $180 or $270 for Holy Week services of the Eucharist, with sermon, on Maundy Thursday
- $180 or $270 for Holy Week services on Good Friday
Note: Travel reimbursement in accordance with IRS rates applies to all of the above services.
- Travel reimbursement includes all public transportation fares (with receipts) OR mileage at the standard IRS mileage reimbursement rate (54.5 cents per mile in 2018) and tolls.
- Ministry in addition to the Sunday or week-day services is to be compensated at an additional hourly rate, plus travel, to be agreed upon by the parish and priest. For guidance please contact the Transition Ministry Office.
- Statement of Pension Assessment: If supply clergy, who are active (that is, not retired and drawing pension benefits), and who supply for the same congregation for two or more consecutive months, a mandated assessment of 18% of the cash stipend is to be submitted to the Church Pension Fund, retroactive to the first month/Sunday of service.
Send a Supply Request to the Priests' Listserv
This form is for use by lay leaders of parishes currently without a priest. When you submit the form, an email containing the information entered on it will automatically be sent on your behalf to all priests on the priests' listserv, with the contact email address that you provide as the "return" email address.
Please be sure to provide all the information (particularly directions, public transit information, etc.) that a potential supply priest will need.
Note: by using this form you are agreeing to follow the minimum diocesan compensation guidelines (see left column) for Sunday supply priests.